While it may feel as though January has only just begun, now is the time to get serious about your new year’s resolutions – especially when you consider that most resolutions are abandoned before the month is over. This is particularly important if your goals are fitness-related, as it’s always that much harder to get enthused about exercise when it’s cold, dark and wet outside.
However, this does not mean that your 2022 fitness goals are out of reach – you just need to be prepared to actually work for them. After all, success does not simply fall into your lap – you have to make it happen for yourself. With that in mind, here are some top tips that you can use to smash your 2022 fitness goals – whether you’re looking to lose weight or engage in sporting competitions such as triathlons.
- Try something new. It can be hard to fall in love with fitness if you are doing the same routines you’ve been doing for years. Therefore, if you’re really looking to challenge yourself this year, then it’s time to try something new. For example, if you usually focus on weights at the gym, why not introduce cardio into your schedule?
- Buy the right workout gear. Various different factors contribute to a successful workout – and while you always need to enter a fitness session with some enthusiasm, you must also make sure that you’re wearing the appropriate gear. For example, you shouldn’t head out on a cross country run in a pair of flip flops. However, it’s equally important that you have the right accessories at your disposal. For example, sports sunglasses are the perfect workout buddy, especially if you’re going to be spending more time outdoors.
- Change your diet too. Working out is one of the best things you can do for your body – especially as you get older. However, it’s also vital that you ensure your diet isn’t cancelling out your hard work. Thankfully, it’s much easier than you think to get your new workout diet just right – you simply need to be mindful about the kind of food you are consuming. Where possible, avoid processed food and take outs in favor of homemade dishes, as this gives you the chance to control what you are putting into your body.
- Put together a schedule. Putting together a workout schedule is a great way to ensure that you remain focused and on-task. While we often use schedules in our professional lives, many people fail to see just how useful they can be when exercising – especially when it comes to accountability and finding time in your schedule to actually exercise. If you aren’t sure where to get started, check out these sample workout schedules.
- Drink more water. When adequately hydrated, you’ll find that you’ll smash every single one of your workouts. This is because good hydration = higher energy levels. It can also significantly impact your mood and your ability to focus. Therefore, as you enter into your new fitness routine, you should always ensure you have a water bottle to hand.