With a garden of zucchini’s this year we were trying to figure out what we can do with all of them. One of the recipes we use is shredded zucchini cakes which is a hit all the way around. They are a go to side dish in this household. Despite no longer having zucchinis in the garden, we are still making them but can’t wait till we have them fresh from the garden next year.
- 3 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 onion, sautéed in olive oil
- 1 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Place grated zucchini in a colander; sprinkle with salt and let stand 30 minutes. Press with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible; zucchini should be fairly dry and reduced to about 2 cups.
- Mix egg, zucchini, bread crumbs, green onions, bell pepper, seafood seasoning, mustard, mayonnaise, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Form into 8 patties, 3 to 4 inches across.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
TIP: Use a non-stick frying pan.