We are early into my favorite foodie time of year. BBQ season! There is nothing like a good BBQ whether it is hamburgers & hot dogs, steaks and sausage or chicken and just enjoying the backyard. There is almost anything that can go on a grill if you put some imagination into it. Grilling isn’t a chore for me, it is more like a past-time.
At first glance the Char-Broil Commercial four-burner TRU-Infrared grill may look like a traditional grill, but when you look under the hood you will notice it’s advanced infrared technology will provide you with beautifully cooked foods. I was a little nervous wondering if I was going to get a well cooked meats for the first time as I have never cooked on an infrared grill before. Needless to say everything was a hit!
Prior to receiving the Char-Broil, my two prior grills had 5 burners so I was worried I would have a smaller cooking surface. With a large family this was a legit concern. Surprisingly it has about the same grilling surface if not a little more than my last five burner grill. You can fit up to a whopping 30 average-sized hamburgers on the cooking surface and 14 on the warming rack. That makes this perfect for my large family.
Overall, I found this grill easy to use and put together, with the occasional instance where certain things didn’t line up exactly right but everything worked out fine. Some steps may require 2 people.
The meat drippings fall down and vaporize on the sear plates, which is great for flavoring your food, but it also could mean a cloud of smoke in your face when you lift the lid so stand back when opening.
- The grill cooks evenly across the entire surface. There is no need for me to move stuff from the front to the back and vice versa like I had to in the past.
- It has more grilling space than the other mid-range grills that I have seen (525-sq in of primary cooking space). Though it is a 4 burner grill, it has about the same grilling surface as my older 5 burner grill.
- Comes with a nice griddle plate that can be used over the side burner for things like bacon, vegetables or anything that probably shouldn’t go on the grill top like maybe even pancakes! Mmmmmmmm
- Dual Fuel™ enabled for an easy conversion from propane to natural gas. Conversion kit sold separately.
- 3 little extras that make life so easy are the one touch electronic ignition, lid mounted temperature gage and the gas tank fuel gage. Though these things seem miniscule, and may come on most high end grills, they are a big deal in my book.
- The grill has the tendency to over smoke compared to what I am used to when grilling higher fat content meat like burgers. I understand this is part of the TRU-Infrared cooking and it might just be a learning curve. I did notice when I reduced the heat on those types of items, the smoke reduced drastically.
- It does take a little longer to heat up compared to other grills I have had but it effectively uses infrared technology to produce delicious steaks and other foods. This is clearly due to the infrared technology and lets face it, that is better than flare ups.
NOTE: The burners are protected under warranty for ten years, so if there are any defects, you can get them replaced or repaired for free during that time. The warranties for the grates, cook box and lid last for three years, while other parts are only covered for a year each.
Disclosure: I received the Char-Broil Commercial TRU-Infrared 4-Burner Gas Grill in exchange for my honest review. The opinions expressed in my review are my own. No other compensation was given.