Anyone who is anyone dreams of taking a road trip. Grabbing a group of friends, packing up the car and sticking on some amazing tunes is the dream. The freedom. The space. The desire to go wherever you want to go in the country is right out in front of you. All you need to do is choose where to go. Oh, and you need to work out a way to avoid being bored.
Road trips are amazing fun if you go with friends, but the road is long, and it can stretch for hours and hours ahead of you. Being bored on the road is just as dangerous as drink driving. You’d have certainly studied up with the americansafetycouncil.com/content/Texas-drivers-ed before you got going to brush up on your skills, so you’d know that entertaining yourself on the road is vital for staying awake as you go. Entertainment is an absolute must, and while you’ve got your mates and you’ve got the time, you may as well play a few games as you go! We’ve got five fantastic ways to keep yourselves entertained as your road trip plays out. Enjoy!
- Have you ever played the game where you each have to find a cheesy souvenir at each location? You’ve seen the tacky snow globes and garish keychains, but the aim of the game is who can grab the tackiest item on the shelf. The prize? The winner of the cheesiest item gets to keep all the items for themselves. It may not be the best prize, but hey, that’s the fun!
- When you’re driving through the night, you get the chance to see some serious stars. The astronomers in the group will immediately start to download some facts to you all, while the rest of you cheer about the shiny, shiny stars. Get your phones out and download Star Chart and see how many constellations you can find.
- When you’re piling back into the car to head onto the next location, you could end up feeling pretty exhausted. There’s less chance anyone will want to play games when they’re tired, so why not download a few podcasts to listen to? Check out this list of podcasts that are perfect for a road trip. Easy listening is so much fun on the road.
- Board games aren’t exactly easy to play when it comes to being on the road, and the driver MIGHT get a little distracted. Instead, quiz games like Trivial Pursuit could be exactly what your trip needs. The winner gets to choose the next rest stop, place to eat or song on the iPod. For a little more of a thrill, bet some dollars and the winner takes all.
- Lastly, forget the map. If you’re driving from one side of the country to the other, just drive and see where the arrows will take you. It’s the best game, just make sure you’re loaded with everything you need to stay warm and fed on the road.
Road trips need to be fun, and all you have to do is give yourself the chance to play!