The Only Pieces That Your Capsule Wardrobe Needs
I think it is safe to say that men spend much less of clothes than women do. However, there are still a few staple pieces that are going to see you through the week. From work, to socializing, to working out or going to a party, there a few staple pieces that every man should be investing in. When you have a ‘capsule wardrobe’ as it is often getting called, then it can mean you have something for every occasion, without having to buy cheaper, worse quality items that aren’t going to last you. Fast fashion is never the choice you want when you can have some staple pieces. So here are the key pieces that you need. How many do you already have?
Suit – whatever color you go for, it just needs to be one that you love. Keep it fairly neutral though, something on the grey scale perhaps, so that it does help to keep it really universal. A single-breasted suit will also help to make it look timeless.
- Peacoat – the great thing about a peacoat is that it is really versatile, and can be dressed up or dressed down really easily. It looks good with suit trousers and a shirt, just as much as jeans and a hoodie.
- Jeans – I mean, this kind of goes without saying, but a good pair of jeans is a must. To make sure that it will suit for more than one occasion, go for a dark blue denim. Avoid any patches or distressing too. Then the pair will work for both smart and more casual occasions.
- Denim Jacket – a denim jacket is a great way to make any outfit look more casual, as well as offering an alternative jacket option for when it isn’t quite so chilly outside.
- Khakis – jeans aren’t going to work for every occasion. Which is where a good pair of khaki pants comes in. They can be worn for work, with a shirt, and even with a sweater and Converse sneakers for a casual look. They’re much more versatile than they’re given credit for.
- Trench Coat – this might not work for everyone’s taste and fashion sense. But if you have a pretty corporate job, then a trench coat can be the thing that you need. They are timeless and never age.
- Blazer – blazers are great as they can be worn to work as well as out to drinks. But wear them with jeans and a t-shirt, rather than a shirt, and you’ve taken it right to casual as well. Looking for one with unstructured shoulders can be a good way to get maximum versatility.
- Brown Shoes – for your suit, you need a good pair of shoes. Boots are often better to get in black, but brown shoes can work well with a suit, as well as looking good with dark jeans for a more smart casual look.
- White Sneakers – the choice of brand is totally up to you, but a pair of white trainers can be just what you need for casual days.
- Plain White Tee – the reason that this is on the list is that it is the ultimate piece for a capsule wardrobe. It can be worn with jeans and sweatpants, and can even be slept in. So it needs to be on the list.
- Chambray Shirt – a shirt that buttons down, made from cotton, can be a great thing to have in your wardrobe. Style it with a tie when needed, or wear by itself with jeans and brogues. Keep the color light to make sure you can get maximum use out of it.
- Accessories – there are some staple accessories that are needed to. I mean, you’re not going to get too far without a belt for your pants or a bag for the gym. A holdall is a good idea, as well as neutral looking belt. A tie can be a good idea for formal occasions. But if you will be wearing one a lot, then a knitted tie could be a good idea, along with a silk version.
- Sweatpants – it isn’t all about being formal, you know. So a good pair or two of sweatpants is a must. You can wear them to work out it, chill in, or even sleep in.
- Hoodie – along the same lines, a good old hoodie or casual sweater is a great for the lazier days or for after the gym too. But with so many options out there, it can be a good to look for a made in USA clothing brand like Stateline or Fruit of the Loom, for example. Then you’re trying to do a little something for the environment at the same time.