Do you suffer from varicose veins? Unfortunately, this is a condition that a lot of people experience, especially as they get older. It occurs when blood pools in the veins, and there are a number of symptoms that can arise as a consequence. This includes restlessness, itching, aches and pains, tightness, heaviness, and tiredness. While you cannot stop varicose veins from forming, there are some ways you can manage them to make sure that the problem does not get worse. Here are some top tips:
- Exercise – You don’t need to partake in intensive exercise in order to feel the benefits. In fact, one of the simplest and most effective forms of exercizing for vein health is walking. This will improve circulation, as well as reducing body fat and toning the muscles in your legs. However, it is important to make sure you walk correctly in order to feel the full effects. Make sure you transfer your weight smoothly from one leg to the other, and always look forward and keep your head up. There are also a number of stretches you can do to boost vein health.
- Eat right – Do you eat enough fruit and vegetables? If not, try your best to incorporate more portions into your daily routine. If you are struggling, you will need to supplement them with vitamins that will help to tone your veins. Look for a good multivitamin to incorporate into your diet.
- Well-fitted compression stockings – Compression socks are a must for anyone that has varicose veins. These stockings will decrease swelling, as the pressure they apply will prevent the blood from pooling in the veins. If you are going on a long-haul flight, elastic compression stockings are especially important.
- Avoid tight clothing – While applying pressure through compression stockings is advised, you are not recommended to wear tight clothes. You should especially avoid clothes that are tight around the legs, groin, and waist area. Tight clothing can make varicose veins a lot worse.
- Weight management – If you are overweight or obese, now is a good time to try and lose weight. By shedding some pounds, you will ease the pressure on your varicose veins, which will, in turn, improve blood flow. Of course, losing weight is not something that can happen overnight. It requires a lot of commitment and a change of lifestyle, but you will definitely thank yourself for it in the end.
- Sleeping posture – The next thing you need to address is your sleeping posture. In fact, it is a good idea to put your feet up every day at some point – even if it is just for ten minutes. You should lie down on the bed or the sofa, and raise your feet higher than your heart. You could also raise the end of your bed while sleeping too.
- Sitting posture – Last but not least, don’t cross your legs while sitting. It is also important to avoid sitting for long periods without taking a break. If you have a desk job, make sure you take regular breaks.