Every Christmas Eve/Christmas Day I make my grandmothers family Sicilian Pizza. I enjoy making it every year and would love to make it more often but the biggest time aspect is making the dough from scratch. Many people have said to me, why don’t you buy the dough from the pizzeria. My response is “This is how my grandmother made it so that is how I am going to make it.” Though that is also the reason I make it once a year.
That all changed when I came across a recipe that claimed that a guy who’s never made pizza dough before, could prepare a “yeast-free”, “rise free”, “knead free” and “wait free” pizza crust in 10 minutes. Hmmmmmm. OK now you have my interest. Then I can make pizza more often. So here it is, the “yeast-free”, “rise free”, “knead free” and “wait free” pizza recipe. Mangia!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup 1 % milk
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup canned pizza sauce
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices deli ham, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
1/2 cup Tex-Mex cheese
1. Place a large baking sheet upside down on the middle rack of oven and preheat oven to 425F (220C).
2. Spray the surface of a second large baking sheet with cooking spray to lightly coat.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, oregano and salt in a large bowl.
4. Add milk and melted butter. Stir with a fork until soft dough forms.
5. Use your hands to form dough into a ball and divide into 4 equal pieces.
6. Roll each dough ball flat with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface.
7. Place 2 crusts on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush each with oil (this keeps the crust from getting soggy from the sauce)
8. Spread on pizza sauce, sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese, top with ham, pineapple and cheese (save enough for your other two pizza crusts)
9. Set pizzas on baking sheet on top of hot baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling (set the oven to broil for the last 2 minutes to lightly brown the cheese)
10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 to make remaining 2 pizzas.