Mets Encourage Mass Transit For Opening Weekend At Citi Field
In anticipation of big crowds and enhanced security procedures, the Mets encourage fans to take mass transit and arrive early for their opening weekend Friday, April 8 through Sunday, April 10 at Citi Field.
Pre-game ceremonies will begin at 12:30 p.m. on Friday and will include raising a National League Championship banner. Below are the festivities included with each day.
Friday, April 8 – Philadelphia (1:10 p.m. SNY – 12:30 Pregame ceremonies) – HOME OPENER
- 2016 Magnetic Schedule presented by Hyundai to all fans in attendance
- National League Pennant banner raising ceremony pregame by former Mets NL Champions John Franco/Edgardo Alfonzo (2000) and Rusty Staub (1973)
- The club will honor members of the NYPD and FDNY who have been injured in the line of duty this past year with first pitch, game ball delivery and a special NYPD helicopter flyover. Mayor de Blasio and Commissioners Bratton and Nigro will be in attendance.
- National Anthem by the Grammy-award winning show Hamilton:
Chris Jackson (plays George Washington)/Anthony Ramos (plays Hamilton’s son)
Saturday, April 9 – Philadelphia (7:10 p.m. PIX 11)
- Postgame Fireworks presented by Coca-Cola.
Sunday, April 10 – Philadelphia (1:10 p.m. SNY)
- “Let’s Go Mets” Rally Towels given to all fans in attendance
- Players to wear replica ’86 jerseys in honor of the 30th anniversary of the 1986 Championship Team
- Family Sunday – Before every Sunday home game beginning at 11:00 a.m. on the Mets Plaza, adjacent to the Jackie Robinson Rotunda, there is a full fan fest with Mets featured family-friendly activities including kids inflatables, sign-making station, face painters, balloon artists and entertainment. Postgame Mr. Met Dash when kids 12 and under can come down onto the field and run the bases, weather permitting.
The 7 Subway is the fast, convenient, and “green” way to travel to the game. The Mets-Willets Point station is adjacent to the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. Direct Long Island Rail Road service to Citi Field is available from Penn Station, Woodside and all stations on the Port Washington Branch. For more details visit www.mta.info and click on “Take the Train to the Game”.