Sweet And Sticky Grilled Chicken
This Sweet & Sticky Grilled Chicken should be a regular for your summer barbecues. It’s the best of all the things: Sweet, savory, tangy, even a little spicy. Plus, it’s ridiculously easy to make and you only spend, like, one beer’s worth of time in front of the sizzling hot grill that’s parked in this overly hot weather we’re having. Sounds like a winning dinner to me.
12 chicken drumsticks, skin on
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
Sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
1. With a sharp knife, make a couple of slashes in each drumstick to the bone. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl or plastic bag, whisk together paprika, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, onion powder, minced garlic, chili powder, pepper and brown sugar. Add chicken and rub mixture into skin. Place chicken in bowl or sealed bag in refrigerator and let rest at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place chicken in a large roasting pan and bake, turning over once, until cooked through, about 30 minutes. While chicken bakes, make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Set aside.
4. Remove chicken from oven and place on a hot charcoal or gas grill (or 425°F oven) and grill, turning once, until hot and charred, about 10 minutes.
5. Place grilled chicken on a serving plate and spoon sauce on top. Sprinkle on green onions if desired and serve warm.